Thursday, September 28, 2006

This inner rapprochement between biblical faith and Greek philosophical inquiry was an event of decisive importance not only from the standpoint of the history of religions, but also from that of world history -- it is an event which concerns us even today. Given this convergence, it is not surprising that Christianity, despite its origins and some significant developments in the East, finally took on its historically decisive character in Europe. We can also express this the other way around: This convergence, with the subsequent addition of the Roman heritage, created Europe and remains the foundation of what can rightly be called Europe.

The Pope clearly feels that Catholics must engage in a cultural dialogue with non-Catholics. I think it's a good idea so I 'm re-starting this blog with that thought in mind. This time around, I'm going to be giving a greater voice to my own opinions. After all, we'll be talking about culture rather than truth claims.

I'm obviously proud of my culture. I'm an easy target for accusations of Catholic Triumphantism. I simply can't help myself. I love being Catholic, I love the Church and I love feeling this way. I hope you feel the same way about the culture you inhabit. If so, we should have a good time sharing our joy. We might even learn something new from each other.

I'm looking forward to a cultural exchange and I hope that there are others out there who are interested in this conversation.

+ Ad maiorem dei gloriam +

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home